Hello, drone enthusiasts! Welcome to my Holy Stone HS430 review.
The Holy Stone HS430 is one of the best toy-type drones out there. It also claims to be the perfect drone for beginners to get familiar with piloting unmanned aerial vehicles.
Holy Stone is a drone manufacturer known for selling consumer drones at low prices to the general public. The Holy Stone HS430 was released with a 1080p camera for capturing your moments and scenery.
The HS430 is one of the best beginner drones in the market. It does not come with a lot of sophistication as other expensive drones but the HS430 comes with just enough feature that places it in the category of some of the best beginner drones.
In this Holy Stone HS430 review, I will go over the features and benefits of this beginner drone to show you if the drone is the right choice for you before you go ahead and purchase it.
- Quick Overview of the Holy Stone HS430
- What’s Inside The Holy Stone HS430 Box
- Holy Stone HS430 Specifications
- Features and Benefits of the Holy Stone HS430
- Holy Stone HS430 Pros and Cons
- Holy Stone HS430 Set Up
- Best Alternatives to the Holy Stone HS430
- Holy Stone HS430 Safety Tips
- Final Thoughts: Is The Holy Stone HS430 Worth It?
Quick Overview of the Holy Stone HS430
The Holy Stone HS430, unlike other drones at its price, comes with a 2K camera capable of recording and taking pictures in 1080P. The HS430 is capable of doing flips and also spinning. Its 2-speed range is perfect for new flyers and its manual 2-axis gimbal can help provide some stability for video recording.
The Holy Stone HS430 is perfect for beginners, kids, and teenagers. It is easy to fly and handles very well. It has propeller guards for indoor flight to prevent damage to walls and paint.
What’s Inside The Holy Stone HS430 Box
- 1 x Drone
- 1 x Transmitter
- 3 x Drone Battery
- 1 x USB charging cable
- 4 x Propellers
- 1 x Screwdriver
- 4 x Propeller Guards
- 1 x Instruction manual for use
Holy Stone HS430 Specifications
- Weight: 75 g / 2.65 oz
- Dimension: 187*135*43 mm (Unfolded); 93*43*63 mm ( Folded)
- Flight Time: 13 minutes
- Charging Time: 100 minutes
- FPV Distance: 98 feet / 30 m
- Flight Distance: 131 feet / 40 m
- Camera Frequency: 2.4Ghz
- Video/photo Resolution: HD 1920x1080P
Features and Benefits of the Holy Stone HS430
Let’s go over the features of the Holy Stone HS430 and its benefits to users.
Design and Build
The Holy Stone HS430 has a compact design and racy appearance. It has a similar build to other Toy types of drones, like the HS440. This drone can be classified as a small drone measuring 187*135*43 mm (Unfolded).
The Holy Stone HS430 weighs about 75 g / 2.65 oz. Even though it is small in size, it does not cut back in mobility or speed. The HS430 weighs less than 250 grams, so you do not have to register it with the FAA before flying.
In all honesty, the HS430 drone should be flown in moderate wind conditions. However, in above-average wind conditions, it can be challenging to fly because of its size. Your drone can drift away in the wind which can result in crashes or it getting missing.
The HS430 has a detachable battery that fits underneath it. The battery should be placed correctly in its compartment and plugged into the drone. If the battery is placed and plugged in the wrong way, it will be damaged.
Battery Flight Time
The Holy Stone HS430 is powered by a 3.85V, 730mAh Li-Po battery that gives it a 10-minute flight time, which is different from the 13-minute flight time that’s advertised on the sales page.
After testing, the Holy Stone HS430 battery takes 1 hour to charge completely. The HS430 box comes with three batteries and a battery adapter charger capable of charging at least two batteries at a time. The battery charger can be connected to a USB circuit or any device with a USB outlet.
If all the batteries are charged. You can enjoy up to 30 minutes of flight time.
The Holy Stone HS430 remote is great to handle; it has a similar design to the Holy Stone drone’s remote controllers.
The remote control is not difficult to figure out; it’s pretty straightforward, like the on/off button, take-off, headless mode, speed dial, and flip/rotation button.
The first thing you notice is that the remote controller has a great grip. You will find the on/off button at the center of the remote controller. Two joysticks for drone control.
The headless/trim button is on the lower left. Long press to activate the trim (to use the trim function, long press button and direct with joystick) and short press to activate the headless mode (you should not use this mode as a beginner).
The upper left side of the remote controller is the camera and video button (short press for camera and long press for video).
The speed dial is underneath the power button (there are only 2-speed modes). The take-off/land button is on the lower right of the remote controller (short press for take-off and long press to land).
I should warn you that if you long press the land button with your drone still flying, the propellers will stop working and your drone will crash.
The upper right side of the remote is the 360 flips and rotation button (short press for 360 flips and long press for rotation function). At the back of the remote controller is the gimbal button (it will not work given that the gimbal on the HS430 can only be adjusted manually).
The remote comes with triple-A batteries that are enclosed underneath.
The Holy Stone HS430 is equipped with a 2K camera that can take pretty decent shots, and the video quality is 1080p. In all honesty, because there are phones with quality cameras nowadays, the drone footage may not be up to par.
The wide-angle lens has a 120-degree field of view that can capture maximum details in your shot. While the adjustable camera lens can capture photos and videos from different perspectives,
Photos and videos can be captured and recorded through the Holy Stone app, and the footage is saved on your phone.
However, do not expect the videos to be of the same quality as those from other, significantly more expensive drones.
The Holy Stone HS430 has a maximum range of 150 meters. These types of drones do not have GPS and are pretty small; so, do not fly them above your line of sight or the maximum range. Your drone may end up missing and if the battery runs out there will no way to locate it.
The camera signal range is about 91 feet and the remote signal at about 140 meters. The HS430 is capable of performing 8 axes of flight (forward pitch, backward pitch, left roll, right roll, and yaw left and right).
Speed and Power
The Holy Stone HS430 comes with a 2-speed mode, which can be adjusted by pressing the speed button on the remote controller.
Holy Stone doesn’t give a direct specification of the speed on the sales page, but many people who purchased the drone on Amazon have attested to how far it can go.
You should be careful about going into full-speed mode because it doesn’t have an obstacle avoidance mode. Plus, you’re more likely to collide with obstacles if you’re a beginner drone pilot. so, avoid places with trees
Like most other drones, the Holy Stone HS430 is made of plastic (reinforced plastic). The drone is light and very easy to carry.
The Holy Stone HS430 is fairly durable, despite being made of light and strong plastic; it can even stay together after falling one or two times. However, you should take precautions.
Holy Stone HS430 Pros and Cons
Here, I’ll go over what I like and don’t like about the Holy Stone HS430
Pros: What I Like About the Holy Stone HS430
- It is pretty easy to fly
- Can handle moderate wind well for a mini drone
- Big enough for outdoor flight but small enough for indoor flight
- It comes with an internal miniature barometer for flight stability
- Batteries charge fast and are reliable
- It super easy to calibrate
- It pretty durable
- It comes with fixed propeller guards
- Very reliable and fun to use for beginners
- Excellent drone present for kids.
- Its user interface is pretty basic, and novice fliers will quickly catch up.
- Instruction manuals are easy to follow (they did a great job transmitting from Chinese to English)
Cons: What I Don’t Like About The Holy Stone HS430
- It can be difficult to fly during windy periods
- The drone does not have GPS. The chances of your drone getting lost are high if you are flying above its range.
- It doesn’t have obstacle avoidance mode. This means you have to fly the drone in open areas without lamp posts, tall buildings, electricity lines, trees, and other obstacles.
Holy Stone HS430 Set Up
I’ll go over some basic setups for the Holy Stone HS430 if you’re a beginner drone pilot who doesn’t know how to set up the drone. However, you’ll have to exercise patience so you don’t screw things up.
1. Charging the Holy Stone HS430
The first step is to charge the Holy Stone HS430 drone battery with the USB cord. Unfortunately, only one USB cable is provided in the package, so you’ll either have to wait for one of them to get full before charging the other or simply buy another USB cable.
2. Assembling the Holy Stone HS430
Putting on the propellers: This shouldn’t be too difficult. Holy Stone provided a magnetic screwdriver to help in attaching the screws to prevent them from falling off. They also provided extra screws in case you misplaced some while attaching the propellers to the body of the drone.
Install the propeller guards if you want
Insert the charged battery in the battery slot of the drone
3. Pairing the Holy Stone HS430 With the Remote Controller
The drone pairs with the controller quite easily. Just switch on our drone and remote controller and move the joysticks upward. You will hear a beep to notify you that the pairing is complete.
4. Pairing the Holy Stone HS430 With Your Smartphone
The next step is to pair the Holy Stone HS430 drone with your smartphone.
1) Download the Holy Stone app on your phone – free
2) Turn on the controller.
3) Switch on the drone’s battery. The battery’s lights will show the charge level; four lights indicate a full charge. Before successful pairing and calibration, the drone’s lights will flash white and pink or red.
4) Go to the WiFi section of your phone’s settings and choose the Holy Stone WiFi signal.
5) Click the “Enter Device” button in the app’s first page’s center after launching the Holy Stone app.
5. Calibrating the Gyro of the Holy Stone HS430
Switch on your HS430 drone and ensure that the green lights on the drone are switched on. Push both joysticks up and down. You will hear a beep to notify you that the drone has been calibrated.
6. The function of the Holy Stone HS430 You Should Know
One Key Take-Off: The one-key (auto) landing function performs well. The drone is sure to land softly to avoid damage. It has the propensity to drift backward, which is why you have the trim feature. Ensure you modify the forward direction to avoid bumping into obstacles.
Altitude Hold: The Holy Stone HS430 comes with an internal miniature barometer that helps maintain its height and stability. It will drift slightly, as the altitude hold is not as good as that of more sophisticated drones.
Trimming: Because of its tendency to drift. You would have to trim the drone to avoid it drifting sideways.
360° Flip: This function works perfectly. The drone is capable of drifting backward, forward, to the left, and also to the right.
Best Alternatives to the Holy Stone HS430
In this section, I’ll share with you three alternatives to the Holy Stone HS430 to give you more options:
1. Holy Stone HS720E (Best Overall Holy Stone Drone)
In my opinion, the Holy Stone HS720E is the best holy stone drone. It’s easy to use, has advanced flight mode, & comes with dual batteries for a more fun time and a 4K EIS anti-shake camera with a Sony sensor
2. DJI Mavic Mini (Best DJI Alternatives)
The DJI Mavic Mini is my best DJI alternative to the Holy Stone HS430. What I like about the Mavic Mini is that it has a long flight time of 30 minutes. Not just that, it comes with a triple battery for triple the fun and a 2.7K HD camera attached to a 3-axis gimbal that provides camera stability and smooth footage.
3. Holy Stone HS430 (Best Budget Holy Stone Drone)
The Holy Stone HS430 is my best-budget Holy Stone drone. It’s pocket-sized, easy to use, and comes with all the basic features and functions of premium drones on the market without the expensive price tag.
Holy Stone HS430 Safety Tips
Below are some safety tips you should be aware of before flying your Holy Stone HS430 to ensure a fun and safe flight for you and everyone around you:
- For your safety and that of the drone, avoid flying near or over obstacles, high-voltage power lines, crowds, trees, water bodies, and airports.
- The minimum recommended flying age for the HS430 is 16 years.
- You’re advised to fly in open areas, where you can maintain a line of sight and preferably below heights of 120 meters.
- Be careful with rotating motors and propellers, and keep a distance to avoid ear damage by the drone’s nose.
- Avoid flying in extreme weather conditions such as rain, fog, snow, and strong wind.
- Avoid flying the drone when tired, under the influence of alcohol, under medication, or when in any physical discomfort.
- Keep the drone clean and well-maintained.
- Read the user manual thoroughly before flying the HS430.
- Follow the battery safety rules as outlined in the user manual.
- Fly the drone with a fully charged battery, and perform all the recommended pre-flight procedures before takeoff.
- Follow your local laws on drone flying, and avoid flying in No-Fly zones.
- Always check the drone, controller, and battery for damages and correct installation before a flight.
- The onboard compass can be affected by electromagnetic fields near base stations or power lines.
Final Thoughts: Is The Holy Stone HS430 Worth It?
Overall, the Holy Stone HS430 is one of the best drones for beginners. The flight control is not difficult to control or figure out. The HS430 user interface is pretty easy to figure out.
Remember that this is a toy drone with amazing features that are also found in professional drones. Avoid flying in windy conditions and environments with lots of obstacles like trees.
As an added plus, it won’t cost you an arm and a leg (lol) to get this drone. The HS430 is worth its price and more. It is sure to make your loved ones happy when gifted to them.
You can also check out the best Holy Stone drones to see the reviews of various drones from the Holy Stone series to see the benefits they have in store for you.
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and other drone enthusiasts on social media using the share button below, telling them what you have learned here today!